You don’t need to visit a retail sportsbook or be tied to a desktop computer to place a bet in Colorado. With sports betting now legal, there are options for your iPhone and iPad. As long as you are inside state lines, you’ll be able to register, deposit and place bets via mobile sportsbooks.
Licenses are available for all 33 Colorado casinos. This ensures plenty of choice when it comes to iPhone sports betting apps. Big brands, including DraftKings, BetRivers and FanDuelare live — with many more to follow.
This page gives you an insight into all you need to know about betting on sports using your iPhone or iPad in Colorado. This includes how to download the apps and register an account, plus the sports, bet types and bonuses you will find.
Colorado iPhone betting apps
Many of the leading sportsbook brands are available in Colorado. Many of those on the list have apps for Apple devices, giving you access to their full range of betting markets and functions. You’ll find detailed reviews of these brands, including information on their welcome bonuses, here at PlayColorado.com.
How to download the iPhone sportsbook app
Installing iPhone sportsbooks is very easy. Your first step is to head to the website of the sportsbook you want to install using your iPhone. The site will recognize which device you have and provide a download link. There is no need to use a computer; the entire installation, registration and funding process works smoothly via your phone.
Having installed the app, the next step is to register your account.
All the sportsbooks ask for the same information: your name, email address and physical address, along with the last four digits of your Social Security number and date of birth. You’ll also be asked to choose a username. ID documents are not required by default.
You don’t have to be a permanent resident of Colorado to open an account. However, to register, deposit or place a bet, you’ll need to be inside state lines. Books restrict bonus deals to one per household.
Is mobile betting legal in Colorado?
You can bet legally using your Apple device in Colorado. Recent law changes saw the federal ban on sports betting lifted, handing the decision over to individual states to set their own rules.
In Colorado, the state government got approval for HB19-1327 to authorize sports betting subject to a referendum. This referendum took place on Nov. 5, 2019, and was narrowly passed, allowing the state government to go ahead and introduce sports betting.
A number of sports betting licenses were issued, with the casinos in the state the only entities able to hold a master license. With these, they have teamed up with existing sportsbooks and offer them a contract as a licensed “sports betting operator” or a licensed “internet sports betting operator.”
As long as you live in Colorado, and you are 21 or older, you will be able to legally bet on sports. You have to be present in the state to place a bet. Location software on your iPhone or iPad will detect whether you are inside state lines. If your phone detects that you are outside of Colorado, the app will block you from placing a bet.
iOS apps allow you to bet on major sports
Colorado plays host to some of the best sports franchises in the country, and much of the mobile betting action will take place on their games.
- Denver Broncos — The Broncos play in the NFL and have won the Super Bowl three times, most recently in 2015, the 50th edition of the big game.
- Colorado Rockies — The state’s MLB franchise was formed in 1991 and reached the World Series in 2007, the high point of the Rockies’ relatively short existence.
- Denver Nuggets — The Nuggets were formed in 1967 and play at the Pepsi Center in Denver. The Nuggets have never won an NBA Finals or conference title, although they have been divisional champions on 11 occasions.
- Colorado Avalanche — Also residents of the Pepsi Center, this NHL franchise moved to Denver from Quebec in 1995, famously landing the Stanley Cup in its first season in Denver. The Avalanche would also land the big prize in 2001.
Sports betting on your Apple device in Colorado
While much of the betting action will be centered around the four major franchises in Colorado, a wide range of sports and leagues will be covered on your device:
- Football — The best of the NFL action, including, of course, the Super Bowl and the best of the college action.
- Basketball — The NBA, college hoops and also European action. Player props will be available on the biggest games.
- Baseball — Enjoy betting on all games in the huge MLB regular season, and playoffs and World Series markets.
- Hockey — As all roads lead to the Stanley Cup, enjoy spreads, puck line and totals on every game, as well as the best in international hockey.
- Soccer — European leagues, international games and Major League Soccer all feature.
- Auto Sport — Race markets on NASCAR and Formula One weekends will be available widely, while IndyCar will feature on some sites.
- Tennis — Events on the ATP and WTA tour will feature on all, with some sites focusing on other tours such as Challenger and ITF. The Grand Slams see increased betting.
- Golf — Check out the odds on all of the biggest tour events, as well as extended betting markets on the majors.
- Combat Sports — The biggest bouts in both boxing and MMA will feature winner markets. The majority of the MMA betting is on UFC fights.
- Other Sports — A range of international markets will also be available, including cycling, rugby, darts, Australian rules football and many more.
How to bet on your iPhone or iPad
If you want to place a money-spinning parlay or a fun prop bet, or stick to the classic point spread, totals or money line, all the options are available on your mobile device. In addition, live betting is perfect for those betting on the go, getting involved in the betting action when the game is underway.
Here’s a rundown of the most popular markets:
- Straight bets — The point spread (the underdog has points added to even up the betting), the money line (a straight bet on the winner of a contest) and totals (bet over or under a stated number) will all feature at every sportsbook.
- Parlays — Pick a number of selections, and each has to win for the bet to be successful. The more selections you make, the more you can win, with incredible prizes possible. Look out for many promotions around parlays.
- Teasers — A form of parlay where the lines are moved slightly to your advantage on each selection. Wins are more likely, but the odds are shorter.
- Round robin — A combination of parlays within your selections, ensuring one losing selection doesn’t kill off the bet.
- Props — Props or “proposition bets” are wagers within a game, where you could bet on the leading team at halftime or player performance, for example.
- Futures — Longer term bets usually based over a whole season. A good example is a wager, in the preseason, on the Colorado Avalanche to win the Stanley Cup.
Usability of iOS sports betting apps
While there will be slight differences as you move from app to app, the overall design of sports betting apps can be very similar, with almost a “standard” layout across the industry.
- Main betting area — In most cases, the most popular upcoming markets are featured in the main window. You’ll usually find the point spread, the money line and the totals bets listed by default, with an option to delve into further markets. This is done by either clicking on the team’s names or via a “more bets” option. To navigate to other markets, sports or leagues, you’ll usually find icons or an A-Z sports option in a menu bar.
- Bet slip — The bet slip will appear when you click on any selection, this selection auto appearing in the bet slip. You can make more selections at any time — handy if you want to make multiple bets such as parlays or round robins. It’s easy to discard any selections too, if you make a mistake or change your mind, although be sure not to kick yourself if you discard a winner.
- Account section — In this section you can check your personal details, set account limits and you’ll also find details about bonuses, including your progress toward earning them.
- Cashier — This is where you’ll make deposits and withdrawals to and from the sportsbook. This section shows you your balance (this might also be displayed in the top-right corner of the sportsbook). The different deposit options that are available to you are also listed in the cashier.
- Promotions — It’s always a good idea to check the promotions page, as there might be something very relevant to your next upcoming bet. You might find bet insurance for your next parlay, or a promotion specific to the league you were about to bet on, such as the NFL, NBA, MLB or the NHL.
Welcome bonuses & promotions at CO betting apps
With the Colorado marketplace quickly becoming crowded with sportsbooks, it’s a sure thing that the individual brands will use a series of generous sign-up bonuses to attract you to their sites. These bonuses can come in many forms. Below is a list of some of the most popular bonus types:
- Risk-free bet — This is becoming an increasingly popular way of attracting bettors to a site. Having made a deposit, your first bet is completely risk free. If it wins, your account is off to a successful start, while if it loses, your stake is returned as a free bet.
- No-deposit free bet — At some sites you’ll receive funds simply by signing up. These free funds are usually on the smaller side, with a cap of around $20.
- Matched deposit bonus — Receive a 100% deposit bonus. For example, if you deposit $100, you’ll receive $100 in bonus funds.
As well as the deposit bonuses, many sports betting apps will also offer a loyalty scheme, by which you’ll earn points every time you place a bet. These points can then be turned into cash or additional bonuses. In some cases, these loyalty schemes are wider than just the sportsbook — Caesars and MGM being good examples, where you can earn points at the sportsbook, then exchange them for comped hotel nights or resort credit.
Apps will offer both recurring and one-off promotions. Many types of promotion are used by multiple books. A good example is parlay insurance. If you place a parlay with five or more selections and just one of the five legs loses, many sites will offer you your money back as a free bet (usually up to a maximum of $25). Other “insurance” type offers include money back if a money line bet in the NFL loses by 6 points or fewer, or if your selected basketball team is leading after three quarters but goes on to lose the game.
Will live betting work on my iPhone?
Yes. Live betting uses data streams updated in real time as matches take place. You’ll see the betting lines update, and you can place wagers at any point. Live betting covers football, baseball, golf, tennis and more.
Some brands will also offer cash out functions. This allows you to redeem a bet early, at a price offered by the book.
How to deposit using your iPhone/iPad
To make a deposit to your chosen sportsbook, you’ll find a selection of different options. These can vary from brand to brand, but many of those in the list below will be available across the majority of apps. To make a deposit, you will need to be present in Colorado — deposits will be barred if you’ve stepped outside of the state.
- Debit and credit cards — Most sportsbooks will accept debit and credit cards. Mastercard and Visa cards will be accepted by all of those sites, while Discover and Amex will be accepted by some.
- ACH bank transfer — Also known as an e-check, you can make direct transfers from your bank. Being verified by a third-party company such as VIP Preferred can make this process a fast one.
- Cash payments — You can make cash payments through services like PayNearMe. You’ll request a payment barcode from the sportsbook and use it to make a cash deposit at a retailer such as 7-Eleven. You’ll also be able to make cash deposits at retail sportsbooks linked to the casinos in Colorado.
- PayPal — PayPal and other e-wallets can be used to make a secure deposit, which keeps your sports betting app and your bank account separate. These deposits can require small fees.
- Bank wires/money orders — For larger amounts, these can be a good, safe method. These transactions can take a little longer.
- Branded debit cards — Some of the larger sites have their own branded cards, which you can order direct from the cashier. You’ll be able to deposit and withdraw from these cards, as well as use them otherwise (they are usually ‘“Discover” cards, so can be used anywhere you see that logo).
Summing up: What you need to know about iOS apps
All the major sportsbooks in Colorado will offer iPhone/iPad apps. Betting on your iPhone using the browser versions of the sites is not possible. Only a small number of brands have the geolocation software needed to make this possible.
App betting gives you full functionality. You can register, fund your account and access all the different bet types and betting markets. This also allows you to access new types of bets, with in-play betting the most popular new format.
With so many iPhone betting apps competing for your custom in Colorado, you are in a great position to take advantage of their bonus offers. Look out for risk-free bets, no-deposit and deposit bonuses — and keep an eye on the promotions to see if they cover bets you wanted to make.