Bally’s Black Hawk West Casino Review
Bally’s Black Hawk West Casino, formerly the Mardi Gras, is one of 18 casinos in the Central City/Black Hawk National Historic District.
The property is owned and operated by Twin River Worldwide Holdings Inc., a multistate gaming company based in Lincoln, R.I. Mardi Gras Casino operates under the Twin River brand along with sister casinos, Bally’s Black Hawk North and East.
Connected via a pedestrian bridge with with the Black Hawk North and East casinos, Bally’s Black Hawk West features over 650 popular slot and video poker machines.
The three Black Hawk casinos also offer 33 live-action tables, featuring table games such as blackjack, craps and roulette. Bally’s Black Hawk West also has two on-site restaurants and two full-service bars.
Given Colorado’s indoor smoking ban, Bally’s Black Hawk is a smoke-free environment. It’s open 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
When it comes to sports betting, Twin Rivers is in great shape to be a major player. The company has deals in place with DraftKings and FanDuel sportsbooks.
Mardi Gras Casino
- Address: 300 Main St., Black Hawk, CO, 80422
- Owner and Operator: Twin River Worldwide Holdings Inc.
- Retail Sportsbook: Launched the DraftKings retail sportsbook on July 10.
- Poker: Poker room available at attached sister casino (Golden Gates Casino)
- Casino Games: Slots, blackjack, craps, roulette, video poker
- Hours: 24/7
Mardi Gras Sportsbook
In January 2020, Mardi Gras owner Twin River Worldwide Holdings Inc. announced its partnership with sportsbooks DraftKings and FanDuel.
In March 2020, the DraftKings was approved for two licenses that allow the operators to bring its digital and physical sportsbooks to the state of Colorado.
In the Denver Post, DraftKings Chief Legal Officer R. Stanton Dodge said:
“DraftKings is excited to receive our temporary license from the Colorado Division of Gaming and looks forward to soon being able to provide sports fans in Colorado with our top-rated mobile and online sportsbook product.”
This partnership will offer Mardi Gras casino goers access to big-name sportsbook products. All signs point to DraftKings and FanDuel offering gambling opportunities on all allowable games and events, including collegiate sporting events, major championships and betting on the MLB, NHL, NBA and NFL.
The sportsbooks at Mardi Gras Casino will be available via mobile, online and in person. The downside is that the opening date for the land-based sports betting space is unknown. But, on the upside, both FanDuel and DraftKings sportsbooks are already available for mobile download.
Mardi Gras gaming floor
Mardi Gras Casino features a fairytale-like atmosphere on the exterior, accentuated by castle-like architecture. The French influence is evident in both the interior and exterior of the casino.
The casino does not offer lodging options. However, the main strip of the Black Hawk National Casino District offers a wide selection of hotels and other accommodations within walking distance.
The casino does not host a poker room; however, Mardi Gras’ sister site, Golden Gates Casino, boasts that it has the best poker parlor in Black Hawk, with 17 poker tables and daily tournaments.
The three sister casinos have a combined gaming space of 36,000 square feet, 33 live-action gaming tables and over 650 slots.
Play penny slots and up to $25 slot machines in Mardi Gras’ high-limit area. The casino features a max bet of $100, the highest in Colorado.
While poker options are limited to Golden Gates, Mardi Gras Casino features an assortment of table games. Colorado’s current gaming restrictions only allow for select table games, but Mardi Gras has them all. Mardi Gras offers at least 14 blackjack variations, two craps and roulette tables.
Mardi Gras loyalty program
Since Mardi Gras Casino has recently changed ownership, its loyalty program is also in a transitional period.
With Affinity Gaming, gamblers accumulated points for play under the four-tiered loyalty program. Gamblers earned “Play” points that were redeemable at any Affinity-owned location.
Now under Twin River ownership, Mardi Gras and its sister casinos will likely fall under Twin River’s three-tiered Play Club. Becoming a member is free. Play Club members may earn and redeem points at any of Twin River’s casinos in Colorado, Rhode Island, Mississippi and Delaware. The three-tiered program is based on the amount of play.
The Play Club’s three-tiered program begins with the Premier membership. The more playtime that members accrue, the sooner they can move into the Elite tier and then Club 100.
As members move higher up in the Play Club’s three-tiered program, they become eligible for greater rewards and compensations. Premier, first-tier members receive:
- Exclusive email and mail offers
- Free VIP commercial parking and valet
- Free gameplay
- Access to exclusive parties and events
Although the Premier membership includes a lot of great perks, each higher tier offers additional rewards. Once Play Club members move up into the Elite Club, the rewards include:
- Priority valet and commercial parking
- Discounted hotel rooms
- Cruise giveaway and trips to casino destinations
- Same-day comps
- VIP lounge access
- Expedited gift pick-up
- VIP entertainment seating and event entrance
- Priority ticket pick-up
- Retail discounts
- Trip to Hard Rock Hotel & Casino
- Priority restaurant reservation
While the Elite Club offers a long list of rewards and compensations, Club 100 is the Play Club’s most esteemed and exclusive tier. In addition to the above rewards, Club 100 also includes:
- Gated parking
- Cash advance reimbursement
- Butler suite with food and drink
- VIP lounge priority seating
- Compensated ground transportation
- Check cashing reimbursement
Mardi Gras dining
Bar and restaurant options outline the casino’s two floors, which offer patrons the opportunity to take a break from gaming and have a refreshment. Here are some of the options that Mardi Gras visitors can enjoy:
- Bourbon Street Cafe: On the third floor of Mardi Gras Casino, Bourbon Street Cafe features a Southern-style menu with a twist. The cafe is famous for its homemade gumbo and shrimp beignets.
- Creekside Deli: Conveniently located right off the first-level gaming floor, Creekside offers made-to-order options in a grab-and-go setting. The deli sells breakfast and espresso options as well as handmade deli sandwiches, wraps, salads and pizza.
- Jester’s Bar: Located on the first floor of Mardi Gras Casino, the bar offers cocktails and a sizable selection of craft beers and imported wines.
- Masquerade Bar: The Masquerade offers a full selection of homemade frozen daiquiris and other festive beverages. This bar is located on the second floor of Mardi Gras Casino, conveniently next to the live-action game tables. The bar also offers a full selection of wine, beer and cocktails, as well as other specialty drinks.
Mardi Gras Casino history
Mardi Gras Casino is best known for its festive New Orleans-esque, Cajun ambiance atmosphere and a spacious gaming area.
Formerly known as Golden Mardi Gras Casino, when it was managed under the Golden Casino Group, Mardi Gras officially opened its doors to Black Hawk’s gambling district in 2000.
In 2012, Mardi Gras, along with Golden Gates and Golden Gulch casinos, were purchased by Affinity Gaming. Affinity Gaming ran the three casinos up until Twin River Worldwide Holdings Inc. purchased the three properties in January 2020 for $51 million. The trio of Colorado properties brought the company’s number of casinos to eight.